Is reservation right or wrong ? I think reservation or affirmative action is required to pull up categories who have been historically weak in their social standing. There can be several implementations of "Affirmative action". The present one of blanket quotas in education is the worst. I would list out the problems in the current policies and possible solutions
- Reservation percentages are too high. They are more than 50% in some states. The propose d 50% in central univs would be devastating for general category.
- Creamy layer. The current policy has created created a "creamy layer" withing SC/ST and OBC category. The children of beneficiaries, who have a good education and good financial status, still avail the quota. Creamy layer should be removed from the reservation since they already are at a higher social and financial standing.
- Reservation Benefits are allowed multiple times for a single person. A person shouldnt get benefit of quota in education, then higher education and then in job, and then again in promotions. A person should be given the benefit possibly once or twice in a lifetime. From then onwards he/she should prove himself/herself on pure merit.
- Not much emphasis of the government on education. India needs a hell lot of skilled people at all levels - technicians, engineers , doctors etc. Education oppurtunities are scarce, thats why reservation is such an issue. If we have enough education oppurtunities then reservation becomes a non issue. Some of the european countries actually have free education for all. We should strive for universal basic education along with more colleges at the higher education level.
- [UPDATED] No onus to remove the quotas. There is a deep concern that quotas once started would not be removed. They would remain forever. Quota percentages should decrease at a constant rate every year.